Pages - Menu

Wednesday, May 08, 2013

Is Windows 8 a failure, or a brilliant re-imagining of an age old classic?

In late 2011 I had an epiphany. I jumped ship from Windows to Mac.  This landmark decision wasn't based on a particular dislike for Windows, in fact quite the contrary. I would go as far to say that I loved using Windows 7. As soon as Microsoft released the earliest betas amongst the quagmire of the Internet, I downloaded a copy and got cracking with nearly two years of nearly trouble free usage...

Based on my previous and mostly positive experiences with Windows 7, and given my affliction of  G.A.S (Gadget Acquisition Syndrome) I was expecting to be equally as eager to sample Microsofts new flagship OS, Windows 8. Unfortunately this is not the case, and I fear that many other users feel alienated in a similar way. Based on recent data coupled with the announcement yesterday that Microsoft were indeed making a historic complete U-Turn, it appears that Windows 8 is indeed a complete flop. Why?

ExtremeTech recently reported on Windows 8's dismal adoption rate.
In the month of February, according to Net Applications, Windows 8 gained 0.4% of the desktop market, moving from 2.26 to 2.67%. In comparison, Windows 7 had a market share of over 9% after four months of public availability. A growth rate of 0.4% is absolutely horrendous, and — if we assume that PCs are replaced every five years — actually below the natural attrition/replacement rate. If growth of 0.4% wasn’t bad enough, it’s also worth pointing out that it’s down from 0.5% in January — yes, Windows 8 adoption is slowing down. Windows 7, after a small dip last month, actually gained market share in February.
Im not a sales analyst and I don't personally use Window 8, so I cannot begin to explain the slow adoption rate. My guesses are completely that - guesses based on various reviews. Based on those reviews, I can speak to my own reasons for not feeling the need to kick the tyres on Windows 8. Here's my take:

1. People don't like too much change. By all reports, Window 8 is a drastic change from any previous versions of Windows. Whether Microsoft is ahead of the times, or just missed the ball entirely, Windows 8 was too much of a move.

2. Mobile and Desktop should be two different user experiences. Unlike Microsoft (and I suspect Apple in the near future), im not sold on the ideas that mobile and desktop experiences should be interchangeable. As an avid Mac user, I cringe whenever I hear that Mac's OS X will gradually transform to become more like iOS. The two serve different purposes, and thus should have different experiences and structure.

3. Mobile is slowly replacing the desktop. If Apples iPad sales are anything to go by, mobile computing is on the rise and the desktop is dying in its shadow. This doesn't spell good news whose bread and butter is the desktop operating system and who's tablet sales were abysmal and still slowing.

4. Too expensive. After spending £13.99 for the latest OS X upgrade, it find it very hard to justify spending nearly 5 times that amount on a product with mixed reviews.

5. Bad marketing? I have only had brief and fleeting opportunities to use Windows 8, so points 1 through 3 could just be based on bad press. Am I off base, and Microsoft has just done a poor job of marketing Windows 8? 


I am willing to admit that my opinion is uninformed, and i'm giving an opinion from the outside looking in, since I haven't had a thorough experience with Windows 8. If you have tried Microsofts latest instalment let me know if I have indeed completely missed the boat.

No comments:

Post a Comment